Issued by the Richard L. Ay, Sr. Memorial Scholarship Committee Chair:
Richard L. Ay, Sr. served on the Board of Commissioners of the Housing Commissioner of Anne Arundel County (“HCAAC”) from 1989 to 2011. Mr. Ay was passionate about the work of the National Association of Housing and Redevelopment Officials (“NAHRO”). As Chair of the HCAAC, he attended many of NAHRO’s educational offerings and was a Certified Commissioner in the accredited program. Mr. Ay felt strongly that the training provided by NAHRO enhanced the knowledge of those who attended and resulted in their becoming more effective in their roles. After Mr. Ay passed away in 2011, those who knew him created the Richard L. Ay, Sr. Memorial Award Program in his memory to enhance the educational and professional development of individuals who serve on the boards of local affordable housing and community development agencies in Maryland. The goal of the Program is to assist commissioners who might not otherwise be able to afford to attend the courses provided by NAHRO to do so.
1. Awards are available to pay the registration fee, not to exceed $500, for the attendance at one of the following NAHRO courses: (1) Ethics for Commissioners; (2) Commissioners’ Fundamentals; (3) Commissioners Guide to Monitoring & Oversight.
2. All commissioners whose agencies are members of the Maryland Association of Housing and Redevelopment Agencies (“MAHRA”) are encouraged to apply.
3. Agencies whose commissioners are selected for a Richard Ay Sr. Memorial Award will be reimbursed the award amount after the commissioner completes the course and upon submission to MAHRA of a receipt reflecting payment for the course and a certificate of completion received by the commissioner who attended the course.
4. Applications are to be submitted to:
Richard L. Ay, Sr. Memorial Award Program
Maryland Association of Housing and Redevelopment Agencies
P.O. Box 6700, Towson, MD 21285-6700
5. Applications must be submitted at least 30 days before the scheduled course to permit the sufficient time to review and process the application.
6. Awards are contingent on the amount of funding available in the Richard L. Ay Memorial Award Program fund.
To fill out the application please click here.